Tomoko's Blog

Originally I made this blog to communicate with with my friends I made with in London . I arrived in London at 14th April 2005 and this is my start studying here. I like computer staff and would like to develop knowledge in that field . I am getting some knowledge from my friends who are so much in that field. So I would like to try what I get and put them on this blog which is useful and understandable for non computer expert person besides my personal diary.

Free Counter

Saturday, February 17, 2007

keyword21


21. macosx alcohol 120%

This question is about Acohol 120% software for Windows which I discussed in my blog (/computer/alcohol). Since MacOSX is a UNIX file system, there are tools other than Alcohol 120% to make image files from CDs to copy them. To make ISO files from CDs etc we need a standard UNIX tool "dd" with a command like
"dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso"
For further details on dd please refer to, for example, here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_%28Unix%29

You can copy your ISO file wherever you would like to. After we made an ISO file (in our example) we can even directly work with it as if it was a real CD. The easiest way - again, there is a UNIX native utility - "mount". With mount command we can mount ISO image files and make them appear as if they were real CDs like that:
mount -o loop file.iso /mnt/myvirtualCD
and after that use it as a normal CD which you can access in /mnt/myvirtualCD. Of course, you need to create an empty directory /mnt/myvirtualCD in advance, before you mount anything to it. More details on mount tool you can find, for example, here:
http://bama.ua.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?00+00

So, dear MacOSX users, please try it out. The name of your operation system is UNIX.

For Linux (and other UNIX operation systems) with KDE desktop environment there is a very nice graphical tool "Acetone ISO" (http://digilander.libero.it/acetoneiso/). Very good looking and very powerful as well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home