Tomoko's Blog

Originally I made this blog to communicate with with my friends I made with in London . I arrived in London at 14th April 2005 and this is my start studying here. I like computer staff and would like to develop knowledge in that field . I am getting some knowledge from my friends who are so much in that field. So I would like to try what I get and put them on this blog which is useful and understandable for non computer expert person besides my personal diary.

Free Counter

Monday, January 29, 2007

/computer/partitioning




I would like to segregate my hard drive so that I can have both windows operation system and Linux operation system in my computer.
To make segregation in the hard drive, we can use the Linux Live CD.
If you do not know about Linux Live CD, you can refer my article "Linuz Live CD"
Actually we can use window operation system for segregation with the utility "Fdisk". However in this case, we have to give up our data on the hard drive completely and everything would be erased.
So I think using Linux Live CD would be a good way to make segregation and at the same time we can keep what we have currently.

If you never segregate at all, you can just see one segregation.

eg.
Partition:"/dev/sda1". FileSystem:"ntfs" Size:50GB(for windows. You can decide the size depend on your preference.)
You can see, I am using around half of "/dev/sda1".

To have Linux system, we will have four partitions.
Partition:"/dev/sda2" FileSystem:"Linux-swap" Size:1000MB(1GB)
Partition:"/dev/sda3" FileSystem:"ext3" Size:54MB(0.054GB)
(This partition is going to be the booting partition. We are to put
Linux kernel here )
Partition:"/dev/sda4" FileSystem:"extended" Size:43GB
Partition:"/dev/sda5" FileSystem:"reiserfs" Size:43GB
(Sda5 is included in Sda4. The included partition is called "Logical partition"
The reason we do this is not to make any disagreement with windows operation system
in any case. Too detail so i would like to just describe what I have done to
segregation and avoid reason for too details.)



"/dev/sda2" is for swap partition: to extend the Ram memory on to the Hard drive.
Supriseingly we can extend the Ram memory using the space of Hard drive.
Do you remember the metaphor of refregitrator and cutting board for the Ram memory and Hard drive I described in the article of "/computer/memory"?
if we try to fit this swap thing into this metaphor,
We can make the part of refregerator into the catting board,to have a bigger cutting board.
"/dev/sda3" is the for booting Linux.
"/dev/sda4" and "/dev/sda4" is our main Linux partition which has data and programs.


(http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2643)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home