Tomoko's Blog

Originally I made this blog to communicate with with my friends I made with in London . I arrived in London at 14th April 2005 and this is my start studying here. I like computer staff and would like to develop knowledge in that field . I am getting some knowledge from my friends who are so much in that field. So I would like to try what I get and put them on this blog which is useful and understandable for non computer expert person besides my personal diary.

Free Counter

Saturday, January 20, 2007

/computer/spec/processor

To understand computer spec, we need to know about processor while choosing a computer.
Which processor is appropriate for us?
My computer's processor is Inter Centrino Core Duo, 2GHz, 2MB(cache memory),FSB 533.

1.Inter Centrino Core Duo
2.2GHz
3.2MB(cache memory)
4.FSB 533

So considering processor, we have four parameters.
1.product name. ( Actually it is not just a product name. It contains some
meaning. We shall talk about this meaning later.)
2.frequency-2GHz

2GHz means the how frequent the data is moving inside our processor.
To go further, we need an appropriate metaphor.
Processor is a city which has railway network inside.
Data are people who travel by train inside the city. The frequency of processor corresponds to the frequency of the trains .Now I am talking about inside the town and I will talk about the outside of the city in the later article.2GHz is the frequency of the trains.

The frequency (which sometimes is called "clock speed") of my processor is 2GHz ( 2 gigahertz), which is literally 2 billion times per second. Times of what? Times of the processor reads or writes. In other words, my processor can access data 2 billion times per second.

3.2MB(cache memory)
2MB is the amount of the cache memory. This amount correspond to the number of trains in the city if we try to fit into our metaphor. The more train you have, the more data you can move simultaneously

4.FSB 533(Frequency of System Bus)
We made a metaphor that processor is the city. City need to communicate with other worlds such as "RAM memory" and "hard drive".The processor are connected to other world with roads and buses which are called "Front BUS" are running.
This forth parameter described that how frequently the buses are running to other world from the processor.

Now we can return to the parameter of 1.
1.Inter Centrino Core Duo
Core Duo means double core. It's a kind of two processors inside one. Formally, it's not correct to say that, but it's easier to understand this way.
If we fit this to our city metaphor, the city has train system underground as well as
over the ground. Both train system are functionally equivalent but independent.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I too bought a new laptop. It is a very basic model: Toshiba Equilium.

     
  • At 1:02 AM, Blogger Tomoko said…

    What operation system do you have there?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home