Tomoko's Blog

Originally I made this blog to communicate with with my friends I made with in London . I arrived in London at 14th April 2005 and this is my start studying here. I like computer staff and would like to develop knowledge in that field . I am getting some knowledge from my friends who are so much in that field. So I would like to try what I get and put them on this blog which is useful and understandable for non computer expert person besides my personal diary.

Free Counter

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

/comouter/open source software 2

Did you know that Mac operation system MacOSX is created from an open source software. I did not know that until recently, although I have had "MacOS X" in my old i-Mac.
My friend who is a heavy computer lover explained in the way I can understand. That was stunning.

Linux operation system, this is the most famous open source example. Mac OS X is based on a free open source operation system (FreeBSD). FreeBSD is a "cousin" of another open source operation system - Linux, although Linux operation system is more popular than FreeBSD.
Still, Linux operation system is not familiar for a shallow computer user like me, I think. I believed it was close to the truth that Windows operation system is the only operation system people can use in daily use. But now I know that it is not like that.

10 years ago Linux and FreeBSD operation systems really did not have a friendly face toward non-educated-in-computer users. However, since Linux and FreeBSD operation systems are open software and many software which can work on them are developed.
The number of those software is huge even in comparison with the software for windows operation system.

Since "Mac OS X" which have a friendly face toward non-educated-in-computer users is in fact a modification of FreeBSD, Mac users can use softwares developed for Linux as well.
So, relying on open source is the key of success of Apple!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home