Tomoko's Blog

Originally I made this blog to communicate with with my friends I made with in London . I arrived in London at 14th April 2005 and this is my start studying here. I like computer staff and would like to develop knowledge in that field . I am getting some knowledge from my friends who are so much in that field. So I would like to try what I get and put them on this blog which is useful and understandable for non computer expert person besides my personal diary.

Free Counter

Sunday, January 14, 2007

/computer/OLPC



OLPC stands for "One Laptop per Child". I found about this computer from BBC news.
The price is said to be $100.
Apparently it does not require even power supply. We can see the handle. It might be a water proof if they manage the air ventilation avoided. The article said that this computer can build a mesh wireless network just after popped out of the box and start to communicate with nearest neighbors. I do not know what kind of technologies are implemented in this system however sounds so amazing doesn't it.

My first own computer was an i-Mac. Do you know this? My father purchased this compute for me since I wanted to have one. Before I did not have any computer in my house. I used to go to school to check E-mail which is one hour an half away.
Personally I think giving computers to children is a brilliant idea.
I wanted to have a chance to learn more.
When I was a uni student, sometimes i found sth like "Unix three days course" and
if it was free I often attended them. However normally what I have done there was just typing what is written in the text book and I did not really understand what was going on.

I have an engineering degree in Japan from a quite an OK university, in which even myself can not believe,However I do not know about computer more than as a user.
Since my first computer was a Mac and Mac does not allow people to deal with the components inside, I a kind of lost a chance to understand computer.
"computer" and "English" are crucial, aren't they?!


http://www.laptop.org/index.en_US.html
the laptop will have a 500MHz processor and 128MB of DRAM, with 500MB of Flash memory instead of a hard disk. And it will have four USB ports.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home